The student review website that provides all the information you need about Irish colleges and 3rd level courses!

Review Detail

College Reviews
Overall rating 

College 

Area of Study 

Campus Facilities 

Accommodation 

City Life/Social Scene 

Student Services 

Clubs and Societies 

Sports Facilities 

Reviewer Details

Course Studied
Journalism and New Media
I am
Currently in College
Year of Graduation

Review

College
UL is great because it's so diverse. You meet people from all over the world. This completely opens up your worldviews. It's fantastic that the campus is so big and that there are around 17,000 students. However, sometimes it can be hard to make new friends as a result.
Area of Study
I think UL is one of the best places to study Journalism in Ireland because it is a four year degree in comparison to three years in other colleges. This means that in third year you get the chance to do a semester's work placement in Ireland. The second semester is Erasmus so you pick a university to study abroad. In this course in first year you study two electives. You drop one at the end of first year and carry the other to degree level.
Campus Facilities
Glucksman library on campus is great and is being extended at the moment. There are 2 campus bars when there is usually only one in most colleges. The bigger one is Stables which hosts Xmas days and entertainment at night. There are DJs and live music. There are often international nights too. The other bar is Scholar's which make good cocktails and host comedy, music society events and pub quizes. Both pubs also serve dinners. There are many fantastic restaurants on campus: Eden in the main building, Paddocks in the student courtyard, cafe in the library
Subway and Starbucks in Red Raisins, main building, cafe in kemmy, pizza place in Dromroe village, sports bar and restaurant outside the sports arena etc.
There are also two Spar shops on campus one in the Student courtyard and a small one in Dromroe Village. O'Mahony's bookshop is useful for getting college books, stationery, magazines etc. The students union is located in the student courtyard too.
Accommodation
I lived in Thomond Village in first year which was quite nice because it was quieter than Plassey or Kilmurry as regards house parties. I preferred Thomond as I had my own ensuite bathroom. This can mean that you have to go to Plassey or Kilmurry for nights out because that's where most of the people on my course lived.
City Life/Social Scene
UL is located outside the city centre so you need a taxi or bus to get into town. Students take buses to go shopping at Crescent. Most of the times you will be heading into Limerick City will probably be for nights out though. There are many bars and nightclubs to choose from in Limerick. Younger students generally go to Angel Lane or the Library on Mondays and Thursdays. Angel Lane is one of the most popular nightclubs but not for everyone as it can get quite packed. There are also late bars like Molly's and Costello's has a small nightclub upstairs. Icon is for older students. The new nightclub Habitat is popular but is 19's.
Student Services
The student services are top notch and I cannot fault them. There are always workshops to destress or academic workshops to help aid students' development especially at the start of the year. The Students union can also offer assistance.
Clubs and Societies
UL has a great variety of clubs and societies. I joined Dance UL which I really loved. They offer classes in Zumba, hip hop, contemporary, Irish dance and jazz. They also hold workshops in styles such as ballet, swing, dancehall, heels etc.
Sports Facilities
UL can not be rivalled in relation to sports facilities. It has a huge sports arena with an Olympic sized swimming pool and nice gym for students to use. It costs €250 for student membership or you can pay €3 any time you visit the gym. There are classes in spinning etc. I didn't join the gym and instead opted to go to lots of dance classes which was perfect for me. I would recommend getting involved in sport or some kind of physical activity in college. Every student will find something to suit their likes in UL.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account